Bahrain International Airport Expansion
This project consisted of the construction of a new terminal building at Bahrain International Airport to accommodate 13.5 million pax, which will keep pace with the demands of today’s aviation growth in addition to a multi-storey carpark and a central utilities campus. The project pioneered novel approaches to maximising the energy and water efficiency of the building.
AESG comprehensively managed the LEED certification process throughout design and construction as well as provided Independent Commissioning Agent services to verify the commissioning process on behalf of Bahrain Airports Company. AESG has successfully achieved the LEED Gold Certification for the Bahrain International Airport.
- The project has provided preferred parking spaces for low-emitting and fuel-eﬃcient vehicles for 5.05% of the total parking capacity.
- The project has reduced potable water use by 57.71%
- The landscaping and irrigation systems have been designed to reduce potable water consumption for irrigation by 100% and the total water used for irrigation by 51.62%
- The project has achieved an energy cost savings of 26.58%
- The project has diverted 77.91% of the on-site generated construction waste from landﬁll.
- 22.14% of the total building materials content, by value, has been manufactured using recycled materials.
- 24.16% of the total building materials value includes materials and products that have been manufactured and extracted within 500 miles of the project site.
- LEED Certification Management
- Independent Commissioning Agent Services
- Carrying out energy modelling for the project
- Preparing specialist studies related to energy efficiency and sustainability
- Conducting water calculations
- Preparing site specific reports and operational strategies
- Construction Supervision
- Assisting with material selection and procurement
- Client: Bahrain Airports Company
- Architect: ADPI
- Scope: Sustainability
- Location: Bahrain
- Dates: 2015 – 2021
- Related Projects Repeater: Array